This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Leadon Valley ALSF National Mapping Programme project

The Leadon Valley had a very low density of known archaeology for an area identified as a potential sand and gravel extraction area in regional plans. The aim of the project was to increase the amount and improve the quality of archaeological records. This means that the planning system has the information to make better decisions.

Black and white veritcal aerial photograph showing a landscape partially flooded by the river flowing through the middle
The River Leadon in flood on 09-APR-1947. Ridge and furrow is visible at the top of the image (RAF/CPE/UK/1961 4007). Historic England RAF Photography

The results of the project

The Leadon Valley ALSF project was carried out by staff at Gloucestershire County Council to National Mapping Programme standards as part of a broader programme of survey projects within Gloucestershire. Prior to the project the archaeological remains from the later prehistoric, early medieval and modern periods were particularly poorly understood, though several significant medieval sites were known. The Valley has not been extensively covered by reconnaissance but aerial photographs did show potential for cropmark formation. The project area covered 126 square kilometres, in a 5km wide strip. A total of 187 new records were added to what is now the The National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) and are available as part of PastScape; an additional 25 existing records were also revised. This means that the NMP survey resulted in a 103% increase in the number of records for the area for which the NHRE holds data.

Black and white vertical aerial photograph showing farm buildings and fileds with a number of connecting roads.
The medieval moated site at Bellamy’s Farm photographed on 12-APR-1971 (OS 71069/182). © Crown copyright. Ordnance Survey

Many of the sites identified are medieval or post-medieval in date; settlements and the remains of agricultural land use are the most common site types. These include old field boundaries, deserted settlements (often referred to as DMVs) and moated sites. Moats are usually thought of as being for defence, but they also had other uses such as fishponds, ornamental features or for watering stock. Most moated sites were originally manor houses or monastic granges, with their origins in the late 12th to early 14th centuries.

There were also a number of flood defences and water meadows recorded along the River Leadon. Charcoal burning was common in this area, and a number of charcoal platforms were recorded. These were seen where woodland had been cleared, and the dark areas of charcoal show in newly ploughed fields.

Black and white vertical aerial photograph showing pasture fields with subtle earthwork remains surviving
A probable medieval enclosure, photographed by the OS on 11-MAR-1985, was identified to the south east of Newent. This irregular enclosure, which has indications of having being extended, has an undulating interior suggesting that it once contained buildings. Little is known about the date of this site, although the ridge and furrow visible on either side extends up to and respects it, suggesting that it is at least medieval in date (OS 85009/33). © Crown copyright. Ordnance Survey

Second World War military sites

The Leadon Valley is a rather quiet and rural location today, but one of the key themes of the National Mapping Programme is that hardly any part of the country was unaffected by the Second World War. There were a number of military sites concentrated around Highnam. These included both training sites and military camps from the earlier part of the war, as well as United States Army tented camps and military hospitals which were constructed in the build-up to D-Day.

Black and white vertical aerial photograph showing an area of parkland with multiple regularly aligned blobs spread throughout
The Second World War military camp at Highnam Court photographed on 02-APR-1946. Parchmarks caused by numerous bell tents are visible in the top right of the photograph. A group of Nissen huts can be seen in the centre left. The rectangular area in the centre of the camp may be a parade ground (RAF/106G/UK/1355 7010). Historic England RAF Photography.

The key findings from the project can be found in the report:

National Mapping Programme: The Leadon Valley Sand and Gravel Aggregate Area

National Mapping Programme: The Leadon Valley Sand and Gravel Aggregate Area

Published 1 September 2007

Report from the Leadon Valley NMP Mapping Project

The images used on this page are copyright Historic England unless specified otherwise. For further details of any photographs or other images and for copies of these, or the plans and reports related to the project, please contact the Historic England Archive.

For further information on a project or any other aspect of the work of the Remote Sensing Team please contact us via email using the link below.

Was this page helpful?


Group of people standing on a stony mound
Historic Places Investigation

Research Group

Also of interest...