RAF Finningley, Finningley, South Yorkshire

Author(s): Roger Thomas

RAF Finningley occupies an area of some 864 acres and was built in several phases between 1936 and 1994. Most of the older airfield buildings are built to 'standard' Air Ministry Works and Buildings Department designs, constructed in a well-proportioned Neo-Georgian style, typical of the RAF Expansion Schemes of the 1930's. These structures are built of either reinforced concrete or brick. Fifty-two Type B sectional timber huts were built during the late 1930s, only one of which remains today. During the Second World War, a variety of structures were added to the site to improve its operational efficiency; these included emergency water supply (EWS) fire pools, air raid shelters, blast shelters, dual-purpose gun posts, a concrete perimeter track with 'frying-pan' aircraft dispersal's, one 1,500 yard and two approx. 1,400 yard asphalt surfaced concrete runways, a two-bay turret trainer, and additional bomb storage capacity. During the mid to late 1950s, substantial work was carried out to up-grade the airfield to operate Avro Vulcan 'V' Bombers. This work included the construction of a new 3,000-yard-long runway (02/20), a Type B1 Unit Store (nuclear weapons store), a new Vertical Split air traffic control building (control tower), four aircraft dispersals, a flight simulator building, and an operations & briefing block. Since 1970 the airfield's primary role has been one of training, and there have therefore been few major changes to the site since that date, except for the construction of the Air Electronics, Engineer and Loadmaster School (AEE&LS), and the Air Navigation School.

Report Number:
126/1996
Series:
Other
Pages:
58
Keywords:
Airfield Second World War Cold War Bomb Store

Accessibility

If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:

Customer Service Department

Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Email: [email protected]

Research