The Abbot’s Lodging and Corridor, Coggeshall Abbey, Essex: Tree-Ring Analysis of Timbers

Author(s): Robert Howard, Alison Arnold

Analysis undertaken on samples taken from various parts of this building has resulted in the successful dating of 40 timbers. The earliest timbers were identified within the Abbots Lodging where two roof timbers and a ground-floor ceiling joist were dated to AD 1363–88 and AD 1369–94, respectively. These timbers are thought to be reused. The ground-floor ceiling of the Abbot’s Lodging utilises timber felled in AD 1488, with construction thought to have followed shortly after. Potentially contemporary are a roof timber from the Abbot’s Lodging with a terminus post quem date of AD 1487 and a roof timber from the Corridor dated to AD 1487–1512. Again, these are presumed to be reused. The majority of the dated timbers of the Corridor roof were felled in AD 1549 although at least three (and probably four) are somewhat later, dating to AD 1567–92. Boards of a door in this part of the building have a terminus post quem felling date of AD 1527 and may be contemporary with the roof. The majority of the Abbot’s Lodging roof timbers date to the mid- to late-sixteenth century with at least two being felled in c AD 1571. A lintel dates to AD 1538–63.

Report Number:
27/2015
Series:
Research Report
Pages:
54
Keywords:
Dendrochronology Standing Building

Accessibility

If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:

Customer Service Department

Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Email: [email protected]

Research