Church of St Mary, Hawkswood Avenue, Hawksworth Wood, Leeds. Historic Building Report
Author(s): John Minnis
St Mary was built in 1932-5, the last church to be designed by W. D. Caroe, of knapped flint in a late flowering of the Arts and Craft style. Caroe designed all the fittings, including high quality woodwork that fuses Gothic and classical motifs following Ninian Comper's 'Beauty by Inclusion' approach. Mild re-ordering in 1972 by Alban Caroe did nothing to dimish what is a little-known and under-appreciated building.
- Report Number:
- Research Department Reports