Hanover Protected Wreck: Marine Assessment for Possible De-Designation
Author(s): Patrick Dresch, Sally Evans
Cotswold Archaeology was commissioned by Historic England in February 2016 to undertake a marine assessment for possible de-designation on three designated wreck sites, Brighton Marina, Langdon Bay and the Hanover. This report focuses on the latter, although it should be stated from the outset, that there has been some suggestion that the identification of this site as that of the Hanover may not be accurate. Despite this and to avoid confusion the site will be referred to throughout this report as the Hanover. The designation is based on the Hanover, a 100ft, two-masted square rigger brigantine which began service as a packet ship in Falmouth in 1758 under the command of Captain Williams. Captain Joseph Sherbourne took command of the Hanover on 19 July 1761 and remained in that role until the ship sank. The Hanover wrecked on the north Cornish coast in December 1763, in a cove that was subsequently named after the wreck. Of those on board only two men and a boy survived. The vessel was reported to be carrying mail and a cargo of bullion of an estimated value of between £17,000 and £60,000.
- Report Number:
- Research Report
- Maritime Protected Wreck Marine