OASIS V Reporting Tool
In line with Principle 4: Investigative research data or knowledge should be readily uploaded, validated and accessed online, Historic England together with the Archaeology Data Service (ADS) have developed an updated system where investigative reports can be uploaded and accessed.
What is OASIS V?
OASIS V is an improved version of the already established Online Access to the Index of Investigations (OASIS) reporting form. It allows heritage practitioners to provide information about their investigations to regional Historic Environment Records (HERs) and respective national heritage organisations.
OASIS V is not only an information-gathering tool, it also allows researchers to share reports with HERs for public release in the Archaeology Data Service (ADS) Library.
Archaeology, built heritage and marine environment
OASIS V is therefore a tool for reporting, publishing and archiving reports on heritage investigations. OASIS V (England) is inclusive of all types and techniques of historic environment investigations relating to the terrestrial and marine environments in England, covering all aspects from earliest prehistory to 20th century, built heritage research through to geophysical survey.
The improved version of OASIS allows a flexible workflow, it is linked to controlled vocabulary and reports can signpost to Regional Research Frameworks.
Historic England and OASIS V
- Historic England will be creating OASIS records for all our historic environment investigations. OASIS records will be started at the outset of each project and completed as the project reaches conclusion.
- The submission of project information via OASIS is also specified as a requirement for all Historic England funded investigations.
- Further information including FAQs can be found at the OASIS V website.
- For help and training videos please consult the dedicated Help page.
How do I get an Account?
All existing Level 1 (data creators) and Level 2 users (HER) have been contacted with details of their account, and the process for moving old accounts over to the new system.
If you are a new user, you can Register for an account via the OASIS registration page.
If you are creating a new organisation, then you can create that as well. In certain cases – where higher level users have potential access to large numbers of records - an extra level of validation will be in place before you have access to any records:
- For new Level 2 reviewers (e.g. HERs)
- For new Level 3 reviewers (museums and archives)
- For new Level 5 reviewers (specialist data users)
In these cases, ADS will review the account to ensure that the user is genuine and that there is no duplication with an existing organisation. New Level 5 users will be referred to OASIS Management Board where appropriate.