Almshouses, 30-39 Willoughby Road, Boston, Lincolnshire
These almshouses were built for 10 poor men and their wives in 1874. They are on the site of an earlier almshouse known as the hospital of St Leonard. The hospital of St Leonard, for ten poor people, was established at Skirbeck in c1220. It was given to the Knights Hospitallers in c1230 and became known as St John the Baptist's Hospital. In 1338 it supported 20 people in the infirmary and 40 at the gate, where alms (usually food or money) were distributed. In 1542 it was granted to Charles, Duke of Suffolk. The hospital appears to have continued as an almshouse, as in 1608 St Leonard's Hospital and `beadsmen' are mentioned.