Bastions, Portchester Castle, Portchester, Hampshire
These semi-circular towers are known as bastions. These ones are on the south side of the castle. They are part of the original Roman defences of Portchester castle. They were built roughly every 30 meters along the defensive walls. Originally the Roman fort had 20 bastions, today there are only 14. They are some of the best preserved examples of Roman defences anywhere in England. Portchester Castle was originally built as a shore fort in the late Roman period. This fort was called "Portus Adurni". It was reused in the Saxon period as a settlement. In the late 11th century a Norman tower keep castle was built within the shore fort walls by a William Mauduit. In 1130 the castle was acquired by a William Pont de l'Arche. After major works in 1320-26, the buildings on the west of the inner bailey became a self-contained palace. This palace was rebuilt by Richard II in 1396-99. By 1441 the castle was considered ruinous. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2012). Find out more.