Beaufont Street School, Liverpool, Merseyside
The Beaufort Street School was built by the Liverpool Board very soon after the passing of the 1870 Elementary Education Act. This Act led to the creation of School Boards. This in turn led to a massive programme of school building. The building of the school was begun in November 1873 and it opened in January 1875. It had 5 departments providing for senior (boys and girls), junior (boys and girls) and infant pupils. It is an unusually large, carefully detailed and little altered early Board School. It shows the architectural quality of the schools provided by an important and innovative School Board.