Bishops Bridge Road, Paddington, London
View looking east along Bishops Bridge Road, Paddington and showing Tecton flats. The flats are part of a housing estate (fourteen residential blocks and a laundry), designed by Tecton in 1947 for the Metropolitan Borough of Paddington. The scheme covered 17 acres, providing housing for 2,362 people in six 10-storey blocks and eight 6-storey blocks. It was one of the largest and most ambitious housing schemes built in the capital in the immediate post-war years. The estate was planned to include communal amenities such as garages, shops, laundries, clubroom, a public house, nursery school and primary school. The laundry at was built as planned, as was the primary school which opened in 1954. The nursery school was not. The housing blocks were completed in phases with the first contract running from 1949 to 1953, the second from 1953 to 1955. The residential blocks were named after towns with stations on the Great Western Railway line from Paddington.