Brick Sewer Vent, Widnes, Halton

Brick Sewer Vent, Widnes, Halton
Photograph taken 09 April 2006 © Mr Martin Byrne. Source Historic England Archive ref: 56053

This sewer ventilation shaft was built by the engineer J. S. Sinclair in 1893. It is the only remaining shaft of an early sewage system designed to take effluent away from the chemical industry. Widnes' first chemical factory opened in 1847. Since then it has been a major centre of the chemical manufacturing industry.

Location

Halton Widnes

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

sewer sanitation health welfare industry Victorian (1837 - 1901)