Clifford's Tower (York Castle), York, York
An view reconstruction of Clifford's Tower in the centre of modern York. William the Conqueror built the castle for his northern campaign of terror in 1069. The stone keep was built in 1245-72. At various points in its history, Clifford’s Tower became a royal mint, functioned as a prison, gruesomely displayed the bodies of leaders of uprisings, and was even a court. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Read detailed archaeological description.