Ford's Hospital, Greyfriars Lane, Coventry, West Midlands

Ford's Hospital, Greyfriars Lane, Coventry, West Midlands
Photograph taken 1880-1900 © Historic England Archive ref: op14713

The exterior of Ford's Hospital, also known as Greyfriars Hospital, with a group of children posed outside the building on Greyfriars Lane. It was founded in 1509 by William Ford who endowed an almshouse for 5 men and a woman. This was completed, before his death in 1517, by William Pisford who increased the size of the endowment providing for six men and their wives. By 1800 the charity had become confined to women only. The North Side of the hospital was directly hit by a bomb in 1940 which killed eight women. The damaged area was rebuilt in 1951-3 using original timbers and the whole structure was restored.

Location

West Midlands Coventry

Period

Tudor (1485 - 1602)

Tags

almshouse timber framed building people children