Former school, Oughtershaw, North Yorkshire
This building was originally a school and chapel. It was built in 1856 probably by John Ruskin for Charles Woodd, in memory of his wife Lydia Wilson Woodd. The building post-dates the publication of Ruskin's "The Stones of Venice" (1851 and 53). Ruskin made frequent visits to the north of England in the later 1850s and was acquainted with the Woodd family of Oughtershaw Hall. The family archives include letters from Ruskin regarding the school.