Former School, Stanford Bishop, Herefordshire
These are the ruins of a former school. The remaining stones have two inscriptions. The first is 'SCHOOL FOR GIRLS ENDOWED BY PHINEAS JACKSON, VICAR AD MDCCXXXI'. This presumably dates the opening of the school in 1731. The second states THIS SCHOOL WAS REBUILT WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF THE NATIONAL SOCIETY AD MDCCCXXVI. Most of the ruins appear to date from rebuilding of 1826. The National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor supported the building of National Schools on behalf of the Anglican Church.