The Landport Gate, Anglesea Road, Portsmouth
The strategic position of Portsmouth and its vital importance for the defence of the Channel coast led to the development of a protective circuit of defences around the town. The Landport Gate provided the main entrance to fortified Portsmouth and is the only gateway to survive on its original site. The design of the gate has been attributed to Nicholas Hawksmoor, though it was constructed in 1760 after his death. While built primarily for defensive purposes, these elegant town gates stand also as testimony to civic pride, and are rare survivors from this period.