The Manor Office, Hexham, Northumberland
This building was built as a jail. It was ordered to be built in 1330 by Archbishop Melton of York. It is mainly built from reused stone from the nearby roman site at Corbridge. The building had been completed by January 19th 1332. On this date there was an order to furnish the jail with chains, manacles etc. A survey of 1552 refers to both towers as being in decay and in 1608 the gaol is described as being in "great ruin". During the Scotch war in 1640 it was suggested that the two towers be garrisoned with 150 musketeers. It remained a jail until 1824.