The Norman House, Church Passage, York
These are the ruins of a house built in the late 1100s. It is the earliest known medieval house in York. It was originally a prebendal house of Osbaldwick and then, in 1376, of Ampleforth. Prebendal houses were the residences of clergymen, or prebendaries, who received the rent or tithe from a particular property which had been set aside for the purpose of providing their income. The Norman House was one of several prebendal houses of York Minister which were located in the same area. The major part of the Norman House is thought to have been demolished by the 18th century.