The Ring, Blackfriars Road, Southwark, London

The Ring, Blackfriars Road, Southwark, London
Photograph taken 19th century © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: aa61/01218

A view of pipes being laid along Blackfriar's Road in Southwark in front of The Ring and W. Cunningham & Co ironmongers shop at number 196. The Ring was originally the Surrey Chapel until it closed in 1881. It was then a boxing arena from 1910 and destroyed during the Blitz.

Location

Greater London Southwark

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

street scene shop people religion faith chapel building sport ww2 victorian (1837 - 1901)