World War One Pillbox, Johnsons Yacht Station, Haddiscoe, Norfolk
This World War One pillbox is built of concrete with steel doors. It was built around 1916. An office building was built on top which made it more useful and acted as camouflage. Concrete pillboxes were built to the same basic design in both wars. They were placed along the coast and on rivers to protect soldiers defending against invasion. The slits allowed them to fire at enemy troops. A number of them are still standing. This one guarded St Olave's bridge.