Platinum Jubilee Story Map
This resource will help pupils understand more about the role of Her Majesty The Queen by exploring the Story Map of some of her visits to different places across England. By looking at some of the amazing built heritage that The Queen has visited during her reign, pupils will gain a deeper understanding of their own local and regional heritage as part of our national history.
Use the Platinum Jubilee Story Map to help pupils gain a deeper understanding of their own local and regional heritage and the role of The Queen. Pupils can explore the different places and events The Queen has visited in their region of the country. They can discover a brief history of the buildings, their significance locally and nationally and build a picture of their local heritage.
The resource will also enable children to develop a sense of place and geographical skills by searching for and identifying different places and landmarks on a range of maps.
Pupils can celebrate The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee by learning about the listed buildings she has visited in their region and Enriching the List with their own creative responses.
Learning aims and outcomes
- Learn more about the role of The Queen by exploring some of her visits to different places across England
- Learn about The Queen’s visits to significant places/events in their region of the country through her 70-year reign
- Learn how their local built heritage shapes their region and is an important part of our national history
- Develop a sense of place, identity and shared heritage through mapwork
- Identify regions of England and locate places in the region they live in
- Pupils take part in celebrating a significant historical event
- To understand the Platinum Jubilee and role of monarchy
Extended learning and useful links
The Royal Collection’s Trust has produced a set of downloadable resources to help pupils learn more about The Queen, her role, and jubilees.
- Who is our Queen?
- What is the role of our Queen?
- What is a Jubilee?
- Be a part of history and celebrate!
Compare and contrast the reign of Queen Elizabeth II and modern life with the reign of Queen Victoria and Victorian life.