What do we know about the reign of Queen Victoria?
A series of lesson ideas and resources to help pupils learn about Queen Victoria and the Victorian era.
The aim of this resource is to engage students in the bicentenary of Victoria’s birth and explore the Victorian era, recognising key industrial developments and significant events. It includes examples of Victorian life, information about monuments, instructions to research your locality for Victorian buildings and identifying the impact of this period. Take advantage of the range of activity suggestions, resources and links to explore the Victorian era. The resource is split into 5 sections:
- All about Victoria
- The industrial revolution and its impact on your local area
- Remembering Victoria and Albert – Monuments
- ‘Enriching the List’
- Suggested activities
Learning aims and outcomes
- Pupils extend their chronological knowledge of British history beyond 1066
- Pupils learn about the changing power of monarchs i.e. Victoria
- Pupils learn about a significant turning point in British history (Industrial Revolution)
- Pupils learn about how aspects of national history are reflected in their locality
- Pupils produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- Pupils develop their reading, comprehension, transcription and composition of writing skills
- No prior knowledge is required
Extended learning and useful links
- Historic England Teaching Activity: What can Victorian buildings tell us about how the Victorians thought?
- Historic England Teaching Activity: What was life like for Victorian children? Did it get any better?
- Images by Theme: Victorians At Work
- BBC Bite Size: Victorian Children’s Jobs
- Historic England Teaching Activity: What was life like for Victorian school children?
- Images by Theme: Victorian Houses
- National Library of Scotland’s Historic Map Search
- DK’s interactive map of The British Empire
- British Library article about the Great Exhibition
- The National Heritage List for England
- Enriching the List – Resources for teachers