Timeline - Stone Age to Iron Age
An Interactive Prehistory Timeline showing the changes in Britain from the Stone Age to the Iron Age with accompanying PowerPoint presentations and activity ideas.
Use either the Interactive Prehistory Timeline or the PowerPoint (PPT) versions of the timeline to help reinforce a sense of chronology and learn about how Britain changed from the Stone Age to the Iron Age. The Notes sections in the PPTs contain additional information for teachers along with a range of activity ideas such as:
- Looking at the information about the different species of humans that have lived in Britain.
- Linking to science work looking at evolution: why did some species survive and others not?
- Linking to science work about climate change: what do you think our ancestors did when the climate became colder? This could then be put in context by asking: how is the climate changing today, what effects might it have on us?
Extended learning and useful links
- The Interactive Prehistory Timeline
- Teaching Activity Prehistoric Rock Art
- Teaching Activity Must Farm: What was life like in Bronze Age Cambridgeshire?
- Blackdown Hills AONB teaching resources for Hembury Iron Age Hillfort