Culture Recovery Fund for Heritage (Round 1)
Applications are closed
Applications for rounds one, two and three of the Culture Recovery Fund for Heritage are now closed.
The £88 million Culture Recovery Fund for Heritage offers grants to help heritage organisations or businesses cover operating costs, assess and adapt their business models, and become financially viable. This may include:
- Reopening costs – help to re-open and follow social distancing guidelines
- Operating costs – such as rent, insurance and security
- Hibernation costs – to support temporary changes to the way organisations, businesses and sites work
- Mothballing costs – this could mean closing a site to staff and the public, placing items into storage, or withdrawing from a touring exhibition
- Recovery costs – help to recover from the economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and become financially sustainable in the future
An additional £4 million is being used to top up other support schemes for the sector.
We are administering the grants in partnership with the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
Who can apply?
- Not for profit organisations that manage heritage sites, venues or attractions
- Local authorities, universities and other public sector bodies that manage heritage sites, venues or attractions
- Private owners of heritage sites, venues or attractions which are normally open to the public 28 days a year or more
- Heritage businesses that are part of the heritage ecosystem and generate the majority or a substantial portion of their turnover from heritage work - this includes conservators, contractors, specialists and suppliers
- Organisations that manage culturally significant assets or collections
Apply for funding
Grants of £10,000 to £1 million and £1 million to £3 million will be offered to help applicants that were financially sustainable before Covid-19 and after exhausting all other options for increasing their resilience are now at risk of failure. The grants must be spent by 31 March 2021.
- The fund will open for applications on 30 July 2020.
- The deadline for applications is midday on 17 August 2020.
We are announcing Culture Recovery Fund for Heritage grants in batches. Applicants should find out if they have received funding by the end of October 2020.
Historic England will also work with the government as part of its £120 million capital funding for Historic England and other public bodies. Historic England will use its allocation to restart heritage construction projects and help maintain heritage visitor attractions in England. Further details will be announced shortly.