Alexander Pope's Grotto, Radnor House School

Alexander Pope's Grotto, Radnor House School, Cross Deep, Twickenham, Middlesex TW1 4QG View on map

Grade II* Alexander Pope's Grotto is the last remaining part of Alexander Pope's villa, which he built in 1720 on the banks of the Thames at Twickenham. The tunnel connecting the villa to Pope's gardens behind, was first decorated with bright stones as a 'Nymphaeum', but Pope's interests increasingly turned to raw nature and from 1740 until his death in 1744 he re-built it as a 'Musaeum' of minerals, many of which are still intact and visible today, A programme of repairs is on-going led by Pope's Grotto Preservation Trust. The grotto lies under Radnor House School, a cafe and river terrace are available for visitors

Contact

Opening Arrangements

During the Twickenham Festival in June and Open House London in September each year or by special arrangement: see website for details.

Directions

The grotto is within Radnor House School, 1/2 mile from Twickenham on A310 to Kingston. Rail: Strawberry Hill (0.5mile) Bus: routes 33 and R68 from Richmond

Parking Spaces

0

Disabled Access

  • Wheelchair access: No
  • Disabled Toilets: Yes
  • Assistance dogs: Yes