All Saints, Foulden
All Saints, Foulden, Norfolk IP26 AA5 View on map
Large parish church, symmetrical with nave, chancel, aisles to north and south, and each aisle with a porch, but no tower. In his 1949 book Munro Cautley reports the tower in ruins, ascribing this to an inherent weakness of the turret staircase. In fact, the tower collapsed in the 18th Century and the remains were removed around 1820. Today, remarkably, the bottom five winders of this stair and much-decayed original wooden door survive. The tower arch is blocked with a window and there is a 20th century bell-cote atop the west wall.
1 July to 31 August: 9am to 5pm. All other times the key will be made available as advertised on notice board.
15 miles north of Thetford off the A134. Rail Thetford and Downham Market (15 miles).
Roadside parking or village hall.