All Saints, Newland
All Saints, Newland, Coleford, Gloucestershire GL16 7BN View on map
13th - 15th century church known as the 'Cathedral of the Forest' because of the breadth of aisles. Notable features include an octagonal font of 1661, a fine ironwork screen across south aisles and Medieval floor tiles in south chancel chapel. Many 17th century floor tombstones and several monuments and effigies including one to the founder of the church Robert de Wakering who was appointed rector in 1216. Some stained glass by Clayton & Bell and east window by Kempe.
Daily: 8am - approx. 5pm or till dusk in the winter.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
Off A466, on B4231 2½ miles west of Coleford. Rail: Lydney (8 miles). Bus: No 705 from Monmouth.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes