Baroque Terrace, Fountain and Statues
Baroque Terrace, Fountain and Statues, Harlaxton Manor, Grantham Road, Harlaxton, Lincolnshire NG32 1AG View on map
Terrace, fountain and statues. c1838-1844. By William Burn for Gregory Gregory. The statues of reclining lions, C18, are from Clumber Park. Ashlar. Baroque Revival style. Retaining wall with projecting centrepiece, flanked by curving stairs, and beyond them, raised flower beds. Centrepiece, 3 bays, has rusticated corner pilasters, and above a cornice, a shaped balustrade to the side bays, with panelled pedestals. The centre bay has a plain lintel on half-figure corbels, the side bays and returns, rusticated round arches. In the central opening, a round arched altar, and behind it, a grotto containing a shell. On a raised platform in front of the centrepiece, an octagonal basin with a shallow bowl fountain. On 3 sides of the platform, steps flanked at the front by rectangular pedestals with marble statues of lions. On each side of the centrepiece, the retaining wall has panels defined by pilasters, and a ramped shaped coping. At each end, an L-plan staircase with intermediate landing and scrolled balustrade wall. At the foot of the stairs, a square raised bed with plinth, coping and double angle pilasters. On the outer side, an urn on a square corniced pedestal. Behind the beds, L-plan stairs with intermediate landings, shaped balustrade walls and volutes. On the upper level of the terrace, low enclosing walls with plain coping and square pedestals. Central opening flanked by curved walls with stone seats. Opposite the opening, a pair of steps carrying a rectangular corniced pedestal.
⚠️ Coronavirus: We do not expect any grant-aided properties to be open at the current time.