Bicknacre Priory, Bicknacre
Bicknacre Priory, Bicknacre, Essex CM3 4ES View on map
Sole remaining arch of a priory founded in 1157 for Austin canons by Maurice Fitzgerald. The priory never flourished and the last canon died in 1507 and all that remains is the west arch of the crossing of the church of c1250.
Can be viewed at all times from outside the protective fence. Entry to inside the fence by prior arrangement with the parish clerk (tel: 01245 328988) or via website http://www.prioryfields.org.uk.
In village of Bicknacre on B1418. Site entry is via Bicknacre County Primary School. Finger sign posts from road. Situated in a field managed by a local community group. Rail: South Woodham Ferrers (4 miles), Chelmsford (6 miles). Bus: Route 36 (Chelmsford).
Approximately 400 metres walk.
- Wheelchair access: No
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes