Blackham's Hill Hauler House, Bowes Railway

Blackham's Hill Hauler House, Bowes Railway, Springwell, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear NE9 7QJ View on map

The Bowes Railway, a Scheduled Monument and the only cable hauled railway still in operation in the UK. It was opened in 1826 and laid out by George Stephenson to serve Springwell Colliery. Blackham's Hill is at the summit of two rope worked inclines and the hauler house contains the winding engine for the two inclines. The museum is open to visitors and when possible the haulage is demonstrated in action.


  • Grant Recipient

    Bowes Railway Company
  • Contact for access

    Ms Amanda Cuskin

Opening Arrangements

⚠️ Coronavirus: We do not expect any grant-aided properties to be open at the current time.