Bounds Walls, Ushaw College
Bounds Walls, Ushaw College, Durham DH7 9RH
The Bounds Walls, Grade II*, by Joseph Hansom 1852, were built to enclose the north and north east arcs of a playing field and include courts for games in three large open courts and six smaller covered courts. The structure follows an approximate arc of a circle and extends to some 130m in length, and terminating in a ha-ha wall at the east end. They replaced previous simpler versions to the west. The games played were peculiar to Ushaw College: two versions of handball and a battledore game which was regularly played by students until the 1980s. The games are believed to have their roots in Douai, France, and may have influence from Irish handball games.
The gardens and grounds are open 7 days a week 10am to 4pm all year round; the house and chapels and are open Jan to March Saturday and Sunday 11am to 4pm; April to December 7 days a week 11am to 4pm.
- Adult: £8
- Child: £5 (free under 5)