Brunel Engine House, Railway Avenue
Brunel Engine House, Railway Avenue, Rotherhithe, Southwark, London SE16 4LF View on map
Scheduled monument and international landmark, Isambard Kingdom Brunel's first project with his father Sir Marc Brunel. The Thames tunnel opened as a banquet hall, shopping arcade and underwater fairground, now the oldest tunnel in the oldest underground system in the world. The Engine House was built in 1842, a year before the Thames Tunnel opened, and was used to house the steam engines that drove the pumps to keep the tunnel dry. Now houses a permanent exhibition to highlight the dramatic story of the construction and subsequent history of the Thames Tunnel.
Daily, 10am - 5pm. Closed between Christmas and New Year.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
- Adult: £6.00
- Other Charges: £3.00 (Concessions, Art Fund free)
On Thames path, directly behind Rotherhithe Railway station. Rail: Rotherhithe (London Overground Jubilee line from Canada Water). Bus: route 381 to Rotherhithe, routes 188, 1 and 47 to Canada Water.
On-street parking. One space for the disabled on cobbled drive.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes