Chapel Royal, North Street
Chapel Royal, North Street, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 1EA View on map
Built in 1793-95 for the Reverend Thomas Hudson, Vicar of Brighton by the architect, Thomas Saunders, with extensive rebuilding between 1876 and 1896 by Arthur Blomfield. Brick in Flemish bond with dressings in rubbed brick, terracotta and split flint; flint insets to upper sections of tower. Hipped roof of slate. The church's orientation is also inverted; the ritual east end located at the cardinal west end of the nave. A square nave, with galleried aisles on 3 sides, shallow chancel of one bay and organ chamber in north-east corner with vestry to south-west and a tower of 2 stages with high, hipped roof at the north-west corner. The style is Eclectic, being a free combination of Italian Renaissance, Italian Romanesque and northern Gothic forms. Re-ordered in 1994. The Church lies within the area of Brighton known as The Royal Estate.
- Grant Recipient: PCC of The Chapel Royal
- Contact for access: Mr Paul Littlewood
- http://[email protected]
⚠️ Coronavirus: We do not expect any grant-aided properties to be open at the current time.