Clare Castle, Clare
Clare Castle, Clare, Suffolk CO10 8HG View on map
Clare Castle is first mentioned in 1090 in the possession of Gilbert de Clare. It consists of the remains of a 13th century shell-keep with three buttresses on a motte, with two baileys east of the keep. The north bailey contained the earliest foundation of Augustinian friars in England (1090) which subsequently moved to Stoke-by Clare in 1124. It is now reoccupied by Augustinian Canons. Into the south bailey in the mid 19th century was inserted a railway line, station and station master’s house. The site is now in the care of St Edmondsbury District Council.
Open all year during daylight hours.
Situated to the south of the town of Clare, just two minutes walk from the town centre,
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes