Cleopatra's Needle, Embankment Place
Cleopatra's Needle, Embankment Place, London WC2N 6NS View on map
One of a pair of red granite Egyptian obelisks inscribed with hieroglyphs. Originally erected in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis on the orders of Thutmose III around 1450 BC. The inscriptions were added about 200 years later by Ramses II to commemorate his military victories. Both obelisks were moved to Alexandria by the Romans in 12 BC where they were toppled and remained partially buried. The London obelisk was presented to the United Kingdom in 1819 to commemorate Nelson's victories and was transported to its current position on the Victoria Embankment in 1873.
Cleopatra's Needle is on the Victoria Embankment in London and is permanently accessible to the public.
On the Thames east embankment close to the Golden Jubilee footbridges. Underground: Embankment: (100 metres). Rail: Charing Cross (approximately ½ mile). Bus: routes 388 and N55, Charing Cross
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes