Dale Abbey Ruins, Abbey House
Dale Abbey Ruins, Abbey House, Dale Abbey, Ilkeston, Derbyshire DE7 4PN View on map
Remaining wall footings and the east wall of Dale Abbey, a house of Premonstratensian Canons founded in 1204 and dissolved in 1538. The main surviving fragment is the great arch of the chancel east window. It has a finely moulded arch and indications of geometrical tracery. Excavations of 1878 -9 revealed footings of the church building and a number of graves. A timber building was built as an early site museum to protect the graves in the Chapter House and house the artefacts found. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The east window arch can be viewed at all times from the public footpath to the east of the site. For permission to view footings please ask at Abbey House or call 07787 939404 in advance.
Off A6096 (Derby to Ilkeston). In Dale Abbey village, take road opposite the Carpenter's Arms, left at road fork. Rail: Derby (approximately 7 miles). Bus: the 'Ilkeston Flyer ' stops on request at the turning for Dale Abbey (approximately 0.6 miles walk)
Limited parking available in the village.