Downfield Windmill, Soham
Downfield Windmill, Soham, Cambridgeshire CB7 5BG View on map
The mill dates from 1726 when it was built as a timber-framed smock mill on a brick base. The present tapering brick structure which rises from the raised base dates from a re-building in 1860. There was further re-building following storm damage in 1889, and a restoration in 1975. The interior and mechanism date from the 19th Century rebuild but there is some timber re-used from the 1726 mill, including parts of the main shaft. Of major significance is the fact of the survival of all the original 19th Century machinery necessary for milling.
By appointment, or on Mills Weekend in May and Heritage Open Days in September. Please check for dates.
- Other Charges: Donations welcome.
A142 from Newmarket, follow signs to Soham. The windmill is visable as you approach the southern side of the town. Rail: Ely 7 miles. Bus: No. 12, Ely to Cambridge stop on main road next to Windmill.
On main road, 200m from windmill.