Dunston Staiths, Gateshead
Dunston Staiths, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear NE8 2GR View on map
Built by the North Eastern Railway Company and opened in 1893 it was built as part of the Dunston Extension line to facilitate export of coal. At peak working, in the 1920s, the staiths shipped an average of 140,000 tons of coal per week however these volumes gradually declined eventually leading to the last working staiths on the River Tyne closing in 1980. The site was renovated in 1987/88 using timber salvaged from the now demolished South Staith to facilitate the Garden Festival in 1990 of which it is the last remaining structure. Serious fire damage in November 2003 resulted in 8% of the monument being lost and a second fire damaged the upper rail deck at the main point of access. Dunston Staiths is the last remaining substantially complete timber Staith in the UK and is reputed to be the largest timber structure in Northern Europe with an estimated 230,000 cubic feet of timber used for its construction. At its completion it was 1,709 feet long and 50 feet wide and its siting allowed for the creation of a deeper shipping channel suitable for vessels with greater draft when in use.
From March 30th to September 29th inclusive-Wednesdays 10am-7pm; Saturdays 10am-5pm; Sunday 10am-5pm; Bank holidays 10am-5pm. Please note volunteer keyholders aim to open at the advertised times, but this is not always possible
South bank of the River Tyne at Dunston Car: car park at the west end on Staiths Road, NE11 9DR. (near The Excelsior Club). Bus: No 47 from Newcastle Central Station or X66 from Gateshead Interchange Rail: Newcastle Central- 30 mins walk; Dunston 10mins walk
Parking located 2 minutes walk over bridge- at west end of Staithes Road (NE11 9DR) near the Excelsior Club