Elsecar Colliery Newcomen Engine, Barnsley
Elsecar Colliery Newcomen Engine, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S74 8HJ View on map
Built in 1795. Designed to extract water from Elsecar New Colliery to allow the exploration of deeper coal seams. Ran from 1795 to 1923 when it was replaced by electric pumps. Only one of its kind to remain in its original location.
Fortnightly tour days on alternate sundays. Archaeological dig and activity programme planned for July 2019 - please contact Elsecar Heritage for more details. Participation in 2019 Heritage Open Days programme.
- Other Charges: Donations Welcome
M1, J36, follow brown signs (2 miles). Rail: Elsecar Railway Station (3/4 miles). Bus: route 66.