Ipswich Unitarian Meeting House, Friars Street

Ipswich Unitarian Meeting House, Friars Street, Ipswich IP1 1TD

a Grade 1 listed chapel of historical and architectural interest, built in 1699 and typical of those built by Protestant Dissenters. The architectural importance lies partly in the fact that it remains almost exactly the same as when it was built, with four wooden pillars supporting the double hipped roof. The pulpit is in the style of Grinling Gibbons and possibly carved by one of his pupils. The congregation sit in the original box pews and there are special historic features such as wig pegs, a Dutch brass chandelier and a spy hole use by the congregation to check for approaching mobs during a time of religious upheaval and violence against dissenters

Opening Arrangements

We are open for services every Sunday and on special occasions (Easter; weddings; funerals; concerts; fundraising events). We are also open from the beginning of May through to the end of September on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 12 noon to 16.00. We also offer individual and group visits by special arrangement. We organise concerts and events, sometimes in co-operation with our Friends of the Ipswich Unitarian Meeting House group (such as a Dickens reading event in December) and charity fundraisers. We have recently developed connections with the University of Suffolk. The MA History students will come for part of their course as a live source research project and will write a podcast about the Meeting House as part of their coursework.

Parking Spaces


Up to ten at weekends - 5 for people with a disability all week. There are also public car parks very near