Kilworthy Farm Cow Houses and Granary, Tavistock Hamlets
Kilworthy Farm Cow Houses and Granary, Tavistock Hamlets, Devon PL19 0JN View on map
Kilworthy Farm was part of the Duke of Bedford's Devon estates and demonstrates a pioneering approach to agriculture in the Victorian era. Built by the Seventh Duke of Bedford in 1851 the scale, technological innovation and extravagance of the farmstead make it of national significance. The farm buildings consist of three parallel ranges of cow houses and include a threshing barn with the largest water wheel in Devon, a granary, stables, cart shed and blacksmith's shop. The cow houses with underground dung pit are of exceptional interest. An unusually complete example of a planned Victorian 'factory farm' and still in use as a working farm. Restoration completed in 2003.
25, 26 and 28 March; 30 April; 1, 28, 29, 30 May; 1 through 31 August (excluding Thursdays)
- Open on Heritage Open Day
From Bedford Square in Tavistock take Drake Road. Turn right into Trelawney Road after passing under disused railway viaduct. Follow single track road for approximately 1½ miles. Farm buildings are at the end of the road. Rail: Gunnislake on the Tamar Valley line (7 miles).
Please ensure access for farm traffic is not obstructed.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes