King John's Palace Ruins, Kings Clipstone
King John's Palace Ruins, Kings Clipstone, Nottinghamshire NG21 9BJ View on map
Three standing walls of 12th century ruin of King John’s Palace. Scheduled Monument. Information panel displays information. Recent excavations on the 11.5 acre site have revealed archaeological finds. The remaining walls stand within farmland (now grass) situated in the heart of Sherwood Forest. Recently consolidated the ruin gives little understanding of the palace that stood there. King John's palace adjoins the village of Kings Clipstone, still recognisable with that on the 1630 map. The site overlooks 1500 acres of Royal Hunting Park which was originally fenced high enough to keep the deer in and the locals out. The palace is surrounded by outstanding views, overlooking Sherwood Forest and the park, that justifies a place suitable for a palace. The secrets hidden beneath the site await further research. Royal accounts and estate records give glimpses into this intriguing place.
1 - 10 August. At other times by prior arrangement. Hand gate rarely locked and we welcome visitors at most times through the year.
On the B6030 from Mansfield on the entrance to Old Kings Clipstone. The monument is located in a farm field and access is via a handgate. Rail: Mansfield (5 miles)
Events and open days parking in field. Working to resolve entrance and parking problems. Lay by (100 yards). Parking in field by prior arrangement.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes