Leiston Abbey, First Site with later chapel and pill box
Leiston Abbey, First Site with later chapel and pill box, Westleton, Saxmundham, Suffolk IP17 3BY View on map
Premonstratensian house, founded 1182. Abandoned in 1363 for Leiston Abbey (second site) further inland. Old abbey remains retained as remote cell of new house. A small chapel was built on the site, circa 16th century, and later, a WW2 pill box. The remains are situated near the coast within the RSPB's Minsmere Nature Reserve.
Access to ruin from public road at any time. Minsmere Reserve open daily (except 25 and 26 December) 9am - dusk. However, to minimise the risk of disturbing breeding wildlife, visitors must adhere to the marked access routes at all times.
- Other Charges: No charge to ruin if accessed from road. Admission charge to non RSPB members to the reserve.
From Minsmere nature reserve, approximately 1 mile from Visitor Centre or by footpath which runs east from Eastbridge. Rail: Darsham or Saxmundham. Bus: On demand Coast Link service (book 24 hours ahead).
Approximately one mile from limited roadside parking in Eastbridge and from RSPB car park (200 spaces).
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes