Llanthony Secunda Priory, Llanthony Road
Llanthony Secunda Priory, Llanthony Road, Gloucestershire GL2 5JH View on map
Established in 1136 by Augustinian Priors, it prospered and grew and, by 1205, had become independent of its mother church in Wales. By 1500, this Priory was one of the most prosperous and influential in England. At the Dissolution the nave became a parish church, the rest a dwelling. Most buildings were demolished following the Siege of Gloucester in 1643, and the site had various uses until acquired by Gloucester City Council in 1974 and by LSPT in 2007. They stand within an open 'parkland' setting alongside the Gloucester Ship Canal. Public access around the site is available each day but not to the buildings, except the Tithe Barn, because of their 'at risk' condition.
January - August: Access to grounds only, everyday during daylight hours (partially restricted by on-going restoration work). September - December: Access to grounds everyday during daylight hours and access to some of the ranges (days to be confirmed)
- Open on Heritage Open Day
West of city centre, south-west of docks. From north, east and west via A417 and south on A430 (Llanthony Road). A430 (Secunda Way and Llanthony Road). Rail: Gloucester Central Station (1 mile). Bus: routes no 15, 16, 23 and 14.
Public car parks: Castlemeads Way; 1/4 mile to north, Southgate Street; 1/2 mile to east.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: No