Longworth Chapel, Bartestree
Longworth Chapel, Bartestree, Herefordshire HR1 4DU View on map
The chapel first stood at Old Longworth but was dismantled and rebuilt alongside the convent at Bartestree in 1869 - 70. It is a remarkable Victorian interpretation of a medieval building with an early 15th century oak roof. The convent has now been converted.
Evens and opening arrangements are advertised on the Historic Chapels Trust (HCT) website: www.hct.org.uk, local friend's group website, in HCT newsletters, on Facebook and Twitter @historicchapels. Free access to the exterior at all times. Access to the interior available seven days a week during daylight hours, without prior appointment, by visiting the reception desk at St Michael's Hospice (next door to the chapel). There is a notice in the window of the chapel giving details of the arrangements for obtaining the key. The local committee organise a number of open days throughout the year, which are advertised locally and on HCT's website and Twitter feed (@historicchapels). Events programme for 2016 is being organised - the Chapel is due to be open on Heritage Open Day weekend. Guides for group visits are available.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
- Other Charges: Donations requested from organised groups when a guide is provided.
On A438 west of Hereford towards Ledbury. Adjacent to residential conversion of Bartrestree convent. Grid Ref SO 568 406. Rail: Hereford (5 miles).
Parking available in adjacent hospice car park 20m away by kind agreement of St Michael's Hospice (24 hours). No booking required.
- Wheelchair access: No
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes