Lowther Castle, Penrith

Lowther Castle, Penrith, Cumbria CA10 2HG

Built 1806-14 by Sir Robert Smirke for the 1st Earl of Lonsdale, Lowther Castle was a grand country house boasting a room for every day of the year. Its gardens were the envy of the north. But in 1957 the castle was demolished. Just the façade and outer walls remained, and for over half a century the building stood empty and the gardens were lost to wilderness. Today Lowther Castle is an intriguing visitor attraction which offers dramatic ruins, gardens within gardens, and an adventure playground.

Opening Arrangements

March - October 10am until 5pm (last entry 4pm). November - February 10am until 4pm (last entry 3pm).

Admission Charges

  • Adult: £12
  • Child: £9 (3-15 years old)

Parking Spaces

550