Mortuary Chapel, Abney Park Cemetery
Mortuary Chapel, Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington High Street, London N16 0LH View on map
Designed by William Hosking and the oldest surviving nondenominational chapel in Europe. It was completed in 1842 and functioned purely as a chapel for funerals – not a place of worship – with its non-denominational design meaning it could be used by anyone. Situated in the centre of Abney Park, one of London’s ‘Magnificent Seven’ cemeteries, the chapel has been in need of repair work since being gutted by fire and vandalism in the 1980s.
⚠️ Coronavirus: We do not expect any grant-aided properties to be open at the current time.