Muslim Burial Ground, Monument Road
Muslim Burial Ground, Monument Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 5TB
Designed by architect T.H. Winney and completed in 1917 by local firm, Ashby and Horner, the site soon became the final resting place of 19 Muslim soldiers from the Great War and a further eight casualties of the Second World War. In 1969, following the exhumation of the servicemen’s remains by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to the nearby Brookwood Military Cemetery, Horsell Common Preservation Society took ownership of the site. Opened by the Earl of Wessex in November 2015, the restored site and new Peace Garden features 27 Himalayan Birch trees representing the number of servicemen buried at the site, a water feature incorporating a memorial stone bearing their names, bold strips of pink and white heather orientated towards Mecca, scented plants such as Rosa Rugosa and Sarcococca Orientalis, two stone ceremonial prayer mats and benches.
24hrs a day, 365 days a year