Remains of Church of St Helen, South Wheatley
Remains of Church of St Helen, South Wheatley, Nottinghamshire DN22 9DJ View on map
Consists of a free standing arch, Norman 11th century, and the tower, Norman to Perpendicular 11th to 15th centuries. The church was declared redundant in 1883 and under a faculty from the Bishop of Lincoln the nave and chancel were demolished. The tower has an integral spiral staircase to the ringing chamber level and the remains of a frame for 3 bells dating from 1670.
There is access to the church and exterior of the tower at ground floor level at all times. The interior of the tower may be viewed through a metal work screen and gate set in the nave arch. Access to the interior is by appointment
The ruins stand in South Wheatley churchyard. From Retford take the A620 towards Gainsborough. After 4 miles turn right into North Wheatley and follow signs for South Wheatley and Sturton le Steeple. The churchyard is on the eastern edge of South Wheatley on the Sturton Road. Rail: Retford (5 miles) Bus: Stagecoach services 95, 96, 97 between Retford and Gainsborough.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes