Ruined Tower of Church of St Mary, Great Melton

Ruined Tower of Church of St Mary, Great Melton, Norfolk NR9 3BH View on map

Ruined tower adjacent to All Saints Church, Great Melton. There were once two separate parishes in Great Melton, hence the presence of two churches. They were formally combined in the 18th Century, but at that time, the decision was taken to use St Mary’s church (now the ruin) as the place of worship, and abandon All Saints (now the place of worship). All Saints then decayed to the point of becoming roofless. However, in 1882, the fortunes of the two churches were reversed when a decision was made to restore All Saints and abandon St Mary’s. The reason for this is unknown.


  • Grant Recipient: Great Melton PCC
  • Contact for access: Mrs Elisabeth Plummer

Opening Arrangements

At all times.


7 miles west of Norwich on B1108 Rail: Norwick or Wymondham stations both 5 miles.

Parking Spaces


On adjacent grass verge.

Disabled Access

  • Wheelchair access: Partial
  • Disabled Toilets: No
  • Assistance dogs: Yes